London – December, 20 2023 – NTT DATA, a global digital business and IT services leader, today announced a new globally unified cybersecurity strategy to provide end-to-end support for clients in confronting increasingly sophisticated cyber threats to accelerate their business transformation. The strategy builds on the existing cybersecurity services of NTT DATA and is directed at further expanding capabilities and expertise across the world.
As a global critical infrastructure player, NTT DATA has a track record of over 30 years of CSIRT1 experience and the world's largest Zero Trust environments for approx.190,000 all group employees in 56 countries and regions. Based on these experiences, NTT DATA is providing security outsourcing service2 and protecting the world’s leading companies from critical situations caused by massive cyber-attacks3. NTT DATA’s revenue from managed security services in the global market ranked second worldwide in 2022.
The new strategy includes a comprehensive range of advanced cybersecurity services on a global basis from strategy and technical consulting to technology integration, unified managed detection and response, and crisis response4. The services consist of 15 globally unified technology domains to cover corporate cyber risks.
NTT DATA is striving to adopt emerging technologies to stay ahead of cyber threats and is also strengthening partner collaborations and talent development globally2 so that multinational corporations can rely on consistent cybersecurity experience anywhere in the world. The global strategy will assist clients in overcoming the differences and challenges of each location in terms of the business environment, resources, language, culture, and laws and regulations.
NTT DATA plans to increase the number of cybersecurity professionals to approximately 15,000 by the end of FY2027. NTT DATA also aims to further strengthen its end-to-end service portfolio by leveraging emerging technologies such as post-quantum cryptography (PQC)6 and NTT Group's proprietary artificial intelligence (AI)7.
“NTT DATA aims to create a safer digital society, enabling our clients to focus on business innovation and growth," said Hidehiko Tanaka, Senior Vice President, Head of Technology and Innovation General Headquarters, NTT DATA Group Corporation.
"Our new cybersecurity strategy brings together our worldwide resources, deep industry insights, and advanced technical skills to provide clients with comprehensive protection against today's sophisticated threats. We aim to enable business transformations by a coherent global approach that stays a step ahead of evolving cyber threats, helping our clients to continue their growth with peace of mind."
“Bringing together NTT Ltd. and NTT DATA, it allows the firm to put more end-to-end abilities and demonstrate the breadth and depth of its offerings. Moreover, the firm’s industry-led go-to-market approach elevates cyber to a higher level which ensures a better alignment between cybersecurity and client organisation’s business objectives," said Cathy Huang, Research Director, Worldwide Security Services, IDC.
“In addition, NTT DATA’s own Zero Trust journey and success brings lots of credibility when the firm is advising its clients’ zero trust journeys,” she added.
The consequences of cyber-attacks, including ransomware and supply chain attacks, are growing increasingly severe. For companies to expand their business globally while ensuring reliability, they need to strengthen security widely across all their global locations.
However, it is a challenge for many companies to overcome differences in language, culture, laws and regulations, business environments, and employee security awareness, etc. to achieve a high level of security across the globe.
Furthermore, there is a worldwide shortage of cybersecurity talents with industry knowledge and advanced technical skills. It is not easy even for many security firms to provide consistent services on a global scale, from the formulation of effective cybersecurity strategies, aligned with business strategies and diverse IT environments, to the implementation of security measures, security operations, and immediate response to emergencies.
Overview of Globally Unified Cybersecurity Strategy
NTT DATA is launching a globally unified cybersecurity strategy to provide one-stop support for organisations tackling cybersecurity challenges globally. NTT DATA has consolidated and standardised its long-accumulated cybersecurity expertise and evolved to consistently provide high value in end-to-end services on a global scale, from strategy to implementation of security measures, managed services, and crisis response.
NTT DATA’s global cybersecurity services portfolio contains 15 globally unified technology domains5 to provide comprehensive coverage of corporate cyber risks and is designed to be composable and flexible which enables a combination of various service types and solutions.
NTT DATA's global team of 7,500 professionals leverages the assets developed by combining best practices from various regions and supports customers in multiple countries by providing a homogeneous service globally. Working together with strategic partner companies that hold extensive track records globally in a wide range of technical fields, NTT DATA enhances the technology assets necessary for global service deployment.
NTT DATA is also strengthening the development of experts in various technical fields and establishing a global delivery system through its Global Talent Development Program.2 This provides the optimal solution for each client on a global scale while tailoring to local needs such as business and regulatory requirements.
NTT DATA is expanding its relationship with strategic partners in various technical fields to further enhance and expand its services, enabling a more efficient and quick service provision.
By the end of FY2027, NTT DATA aims to increase the number of cybersecurity professionals to approximately 15,000 through its Global Talent Development Program.
As a leading company, NTT DATA enhances the cyber resilience of our global client companies, supports their business transformation, and contributes to the realisation of a safe and secure society.
Reference: Highlights of NTT DATA's Cybersecurity
For more than 30 years, NTT DATA has been driving the sustainable growth of the digital society by supporting critical social infrastructures such as government, finance, healthcare, telecommunications, and utilities in Japan and abroad with secure and reliable systems.
As a company responsible for safe and secure social infrastructure, NTT DATA is also committed to ensuring its own security with a long track record of incident response through its own CSIRT organisation and with the world's largest Zero Trust environment for all 190,000 group employees in 56 countries and regions.
Furthermore, NTT DATA has been participating in government and industry cybersecurity initiatives, sharing cyber threat intelligence and best practices gained from years of experience and building a community of mutually trusted companies and organisations.
Gartner, Market Share Analysis: Managed Security Services, Worldwide, 2022, By, Travis Lee, Matt Milone, Mark Pohto, Rustam Malik, Published 19 May 2023. GARTNER is a registered trademark and service mark of Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and internationally and is used herein with permission. All rights reserved. Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner's research organisation and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
- A team that responds to security incidents to prevent them from occurring or to minimise damage when they do occur. The team collects and analyses vulnerable information, takes emergency action when an incident occurs, and shares information, and collaborates with internal and external organisations.
- Starting in July 2023, NTT DATA launched a talent development program that aims to globally develop security talents with equivalent advanced incident response capabilities, regardless of environment or country. NTT DATA Launches Security Management Outsourcing Service | NTT DATA
- The following is a case study of how NTT DATA saved one of the world’s leading manufacturers from a critical situation caused by a massive cyber-attack. The customer was hit by a ransomware attack that encrypted over 5,000 servers and various account credentials. All major IT systems were shut down, and the customer needed onsite support in over 80 countries. NTT DATA analysed and contained the attack within 2 hours after the customer’s initial call. In addition to recovering the systems and coordinating with authorities, over 140 consultants and engineers helped enhance the security posture to avoid a second attack by delivering end-to-end support from design to implementation and operation of security products and services in IT and OT.
- Contingency response in the event of a cyber-attack, etc.
- NTT DATA’s global cybersecurity service consists of the following 15 technology domains: Security Architectures, Infrastructure Security, Endpoint Security, Data Security, Ethical Hacking, Governance, Risk and Compliance, Application Security, Cloud Security, Identity and Access Management, OT/IIoT Security, Emerging Technologies, SOC Solutions, Threat Management, Anti Fraud, Physical Security.
- NTT DATA has been conducting research and development on quantum computers from both offensive and defensive aspects of utilisation and security. NTT DATA publishes a white paper summarising points to remember when migrating to Post-Quantum Cryptography (PQC) | NTT DATA Group
- NTT announced that it will start offering its proprietary Japanese Large Language Model (LLM) "tsuzumi" to businesses aiming for operational efficiency and digital transformation (DX) promotion, starting from March 2024. NTT's Large Language Model "tsuzumi" is Here! | NTT STORY | NTT (group.ntt)